Wednesday, January 22, 2014

SLOG 1 - Week 3


- What's something new you learned this week in class?
In this class I learned inheritance and exceptions in python. Although I had a little background in programming I've never used inheritance in my programs. Using inheritance will make it easier for me to modify or expand built-in functions of python. Exception is also a useful feature I can use to give the user of program detailed information about errors he encountered.

- What's something you enjoyed this week in class?
I enjoyed this week's lab the most. I reviewed the stack and queue data structures, implemented them with my partner. Then I found the way to optimize my queue ADT to make it time efficient.

- What's something that challenged or frustrated you this week?
Honestly, this slog is the hardest work to do for me. I've never been good at writing, plus this is the first blog I'm writing, and I have no idea how it is going to be.

- How confident do you feel about material covered this week?
I'm sure I can use everything I learned in the class. At first when I saw inheritance example I was a little confused, but once the professor walked through it all the things became clear.

- How does course material relate to other classes or interests?
CSC148 and CSC165 have some common logical operations. For example, bitwise operators "and", "or", "xor" are also used in CSC165. If we look at the truth table in CSC165, we can see that the results of these operations are the same as the results of bitwise operations in CSC148.

-Object Oriented Programming?
Object oriented programming keeps similar objects and their functions all together in a class. Sometimes, OOP saves us from a lot of problems. For example, to create a stack without OOP I have to create a list and write all its functions. But when I want to create a second stack I have to write all these codes again. However, while using OOP I'll use my class to create the second stack in one line of code. Also, when I need some functions to modify these objects I'll only write a method that can modify every element of this object, instead of writing a function for each object. Thus, OOP makes our codes neat, easier to code and read.

No comments:

Post a Comment